Monday, December 5, 2016

A journey with my GT, my first MTB build

...let these old photos do the impressions.

My customized GT Zaskar. 
In 1998, I bought the raw frame at Roosevelt Cycle Center after receiving my 13th month pay. My DIY process of painting took me several attempts to achieve this result. The sunrise yellow color of the forks (i think it was a 1998 Marzoochi Z2) was the base color which took me several hoops on hardware stores in search of aerosol paints that would match. After completing all the components, i attempted to put them all in place (on a trial and error way. Trying hard? Oh yes, I was! Really hard, considering myself one without much knowledge on components and their compatibilities). You're right of just what you think, i had no options but brought it to the mechanic! And after that, my first mountain bike was born! ...Then this yellow horse took me places where my story of mountain biking begun.


 I could still remember my first cracking climb at Mt. Maarat (not sure but I think the trail is now prominently called Timberland which is within the Maarat mountain, haven't gone there for a ride yet since then)...that was a tough climb! But still everybody got the chance for a photo shoot...what a relief!
Somewhere along the road in Tungko.
                                      

Old school cycling buddies. This was inside the UP Diliman campus having fun and kulitan before the ride. This was an annual event called "Bike for Rights".

Still dark at 4am near Marikina River waiting for the take off shout from the organizers (CYCAD Pilipinas).  A century ride event that would head us up all to Malolos, Bulacan.  A 100-km journey that took us on saddle all day long. That was an epic fun ride. I still have the guts of wearing the "bakat" that time.

Somewhere in the mountains of Rodriguez Rizal.

Me and my GT has gone to a lot of less traveled places...places that were once full of greens and breathtaking landscapes...the hills behind us are now laid with road pavements and the trees transformed into residential houses.

..these old photos had spoken of the past and frozen moments that will never be the same again.




No comments: